Monday, December 17, 2012

Story of The Month 12-2012
Dr. Jacqueline M. Walters

Case Report 12-17-2012


Lisa is a 29 year old female who presents complaining of a thin milky vaginal discharge for the last week.  Lisa said immediately following her period she noticed this discharge (d/c) became more noticeable at her introitus (opening to vagina).  The d/c had a disagreeable fishy odor.  It became more noticeable after unprotected sexual intercourse.  She also noticed mild to moderate itching.  The patient did a betadine douche and the odor became even more prominent.  She also did an over the counter (OTC) cream for yeast and for a day or two the symptoms seem to have resolved.  A few days later all of the symptoms returned.  Lisa tried washing several times/day and a second douche.  This time the discharge had a corn meal consistency.  Lisa became frustrated and presented to her OB/GYN.

On examination there was a copious amount of a thin milky homogenous adherent discharge that had a very obvious foul fishy odor.    This was pooled at the introitus.   On speculum exam a large amount of discharge was also pooling in the back of the vagina.  A sample from the vaginal side wall was taken to test the pH, and perform a wet prep and KOH test.  The vaginal pH (using pH sticks/paper) was greater than 4.5 (this is one of the most sensitive test for the diagnosing of bacterial vaginitis).  KOH was done by mixing a small sample of the discharge with potassium hydroxide (KOH).  This test will give a positive whiff test when the strong fishy odor is noted indicating the presence of amines.  A wet prep was done and the presence of clue cells (squamous epithelial cells which come from the walls of the vagina and a covered with bacterial rods or cocci, giving the cells a grainy appearance) by inspecting the vaginal fluid on light microscopy ( done by looking under the microscope).    


The patient was diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis/BV.  She was treated with an antibiotic and told to call office it this didn’t clear in 24-48 hours.


BV is a common disorder that occurs among 10 to 26% of women attending gynecologic offices.  Typically, BV affects women of reproductive age, indicating a possible role of sex hormones in its pathogenesis(cause), but it may occur in pre-pubertal and menopausal women infrequently.  Some women develop symptoms on a cyclical basis.  There has been some association between  some contraception and BV.  This disruption of the normal flora causes a change in the vaginal pH.  BV can occur in all women even women with a hysterectomy.  


BV is a polymicrobial condition where there is a decrease in vaginal acidity and the concentration of lactobacilli (the good bacteria that is normal to the vagina is called normal flora).  This occurs when there is more concentration of other organisms instead of the lactobacilli.


Treatments include the following: (always see your doctor, FIRST)



  1. Antimicrobial agents
  2. Intravaginal therapy
  3. Probiotics
  4. The role of sexual transmission of micro-organisms in BV is controversial.  The data indicates no benefit in treating the sexual partners of women with BV unless recurrent BV continues.
  5. Boric acid vaginal suppositories re-acidifies the vagina and creates a hostile environment for BV to grow.

Remember, to always contact  your physician for proper diagnosis and treatment.  This is intended for education only.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Doc, I have a question Im a 46 year old women who has recently become more sexually active (having my husband home daily) its a beautiful thing but he messes with my vaginal balance and now I have a slight odor. Is this normal, i have seen my Doctor and she didn't find anything abnormal. Is there anything I can do to fight the odor??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dr. I heard that there are certain things to eat to make the vagina taste sweet, is this true? If so what are they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie , I'm a final year med student and I just really enjoyed the way you wrote this Case incorporating investigations and management .. It was very educative and easy to recall as well as interesting. I really hope you keep posting obs/gyn cases on the regular. It's funny how I was watching m2m and saw you talking about it and looked it up to love it . God bless you. And you inspire me to thrive for more in life . :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doctor, i am a 23 year old virgin and i wanna have sex now,but i keep having this white discharge coming out of my vigina and its uncomfortable especially when it comes to foreplay i just retract from going Foward because i know that this thing is coming out of me. What can i do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want every herpes patient to please read my testimony, my name is SARAH MORGAN am from California in USA, I contacted genital herpes from my ex boyfriend who never had any symptoms. I have had it for 4 months now., and it has affected my life. I have told my boyfriends who I trusted about it and I have never had a bad reaction, it has affected my new relationships with Smith and people think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another. I would like to advise people on how I get rid of my herpes and I was reading a comment on the internet,and I saw a testimony posted by a woman from Germany that she get rid of her herpes with the help of DR AHKIGBE and so I was so happy when I saw that post, that his herbal medication is free and I quickly collected the herbal doctor email and I email him within 3 hr he respond to my email and I explain things to him he told me not to worry that he is going to cure me totally with his herbal medicine he only request for little money that he will use to buy the items for the preparation of the herbal medicine, wish I send to him because the pain was too much for me to bear and after some days he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine, that I should send him my address that he want to sent it to me via DHL or FED-EX that was how I got the herbal medication and I use it as I was told and after few days I found out that my herpes was no more, i went to hospital for confirmation and it was true really that was how i got my cured. DR AKHIGBE also cure other deadly diseases like,  HIV/AIDS, HERPES, DIABETES,CANCER, ALS, ASTHMA, HERPAPITIS A&B, DENGUE FEVER, RABIES, MARBURG DISEAS, THYROID, MENINGITIS ,LUPUS, EPILEPSY, CHRONIC DISEASE, MALARIA, BACTERIAL DIARRHEA HEART DISEASE., JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, SCHIZOPHRENIA, POLIO,MULTIPLES SCLEROSIS, HIGH BLOOD PRESURE, VAGINAL  DISCHARGE,  TUBERCULOSIS, ALZHEIMER , PENIS ENLARGEMENT, PARKINSON'S, to get your rid kindly via his email:   drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    contact his number:  +2349010754824           website:  https://drrealakhigbe.weebly.com       you can still write me on Instagram to get more information. on Sarah Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Trisha Nelson, from the USA. I contracted HIV 4 years ago, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HIV/AIDS. I started taking my ARVs, My CD4 was 77 and the viral load was 112,450. I did research on a herbal remedy and I saw Dr. James Herbal mixed medicine, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses His strong herbal mix medicine to cure HIV/AIDS and other illnesses. I contacted him and told him my problems, He told me not to be worried anymore that I will benefit and get cured of his herbal medicine for HIV/Aids. I never doubted Him because I believed I will be cured as nature has the power to cure all kinds of sickness when herbal medicine is being used in the right proportions. He prepared his herbal drink and sent it to me through Speed post courier service, and I took it for 3 weeks morning and evening in a quantity he told me, after that, I went for a check-up, and I was cured of HIV. His herbal mix medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT AND EASY TO DRINK, there's no special diet when taking Dr. James herbal mix medicine. He told me he got cures for diseases like Alzheimer's disease, Cancer, Bipolar disorder, Herpes, Hepatitis, Schizophrenia, Fibromyalgia. Dupuytren's disease, Neoplastic, Diabetes, Celiac disease, Cerebral Amyloid Antipathy, HPV, Weak Erection, Wart Remover. Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Adrenocortical carcinoma. Asthma, Allergic, Wart Remover, Melanoma, Parkinson, pectoral dermatitis, thyroid, HPV, ALS, KIDNEY DISEASES, SHINGLES. Pile, You can reach him on his Email address @ drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete